DHS Squirrel
Geographical Index > United States > Washington > Stevens County > Report # 49664
Report # 49664  (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, September 2, 2015.
Property owner has daytime sighting, hears vocalizations for over two months north of Clayton
(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2015

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: August

DATE: 30, 31, 1

STATE: Washington

COUNTY: Stevens County

LOCATION DETAILS: Please call me for this information



OBSERVED: My husband and I live in the back woods of Clayton, Washington.
We were driving around our property which is the side of a large heavily wooded hill/mountain. We were trying to find a place to build our cabin. We drove to the top stopping about halfway to look over the edge of what we call the pixie stix. A bunch of trees that had been fallen by previous owners stacked on the side of the hill like pixie stix. We noticed something had been moving logs and stumps around. Probably a bear though we saw one stump out of place for a bear. It had been pulled straight up out of the ground tap root and all still intact. No sign of the rocking motion that a bear does to remove roots. No claw marks. So we looked around for bear tracks and really didn't find much. We went back to the truck and continued to the top of the hill removing trees and branches with the chainsaw to get through. When we got there we removed some more branches and scoped the area for our cabin all the while there was something staying just out of visual contact but walking around behind us on the neighbor lot. We left when we were done. We went back down the hill and started up another road that my husband had built with our dozer a few months earlier, as we started up the road which is not that long, I was startled when I was looking at a tree that I didn't remember was there and it turned and quickly moved out of sight to the left. I yelled at my husband asking him what that was? he said "what?" I asked him if he saw it, he said no. The branch about 8-9 ft above the ground was still moving rapidly from where the head, I assume it was the head, hit it (I saw that happen). He stopped next to where it was and we could not see anything. We continued up farther on the road and got out and I was talking to him and he said to hush. He had heard something about a minute or two later just as he literally started to say "ok I heard a "woop" just once. Again he was talking so I did not hear it. He wasn't believing that I saw something. So we looked around this area for another possible cabin site. After about 20 - 25 minutes we went back down to the bottom of the hill (home). That night we started hearing things. This time hubby heard it too. Later that evening when we went to bed and lights were out there was banging on the side of our cabin and then a short time later things were hitting our cabin. Not rocks really don't have any around so it had to be sticks. My husband is a believer now. He was scared. I'm nervous to go outside when I'm here by myself.
The next day I did go out and look for footprints around our cabin and found a huge print behind our cabin but it was an older print. It looked like a huge flat footed huge toed person. I showed my husband and he started looking in the area and found another it looked about the same age. So my husband has been leaving food out for it but we don't know what is taking the food.

We think maybe due to the fires here in Washington they are on the move but we also have been hearing strange howl/growl sounds that are very loud for months. Our cat would always be in the same area as the sounds as if it was talking to our cat.
Yesterday something went after my chickens and so there was a lot of commotion and then I kept hearing branches breaking and woop woop sounds.

What do we do?

ALSO NOTICED: It is all in the report

OTHER WITNESSES: Just my husband and I

OTHER STORIES: No. We don't want to tell our neighbors they will think we are nuts

TIME AND CONDITIONS: The first incident was between 6 pm and 7:30 pm
that night started around 9 or 10 pm
the chicken incident was around 4 pm

ENVIRONMENT: Heavily forested pine trees and under brush on the side of a large hill.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Kevin Llewellyn:

I talked to the witness by phone.

The witness lived on ten acres with her husband for one year. The nearest neighbor was two to three acres away.

Tracks were found before and after August 30th: three total on a deer trail and one on the other side of their property. The tracks were fifteen to sixteen inches long, six to seven inches wide, with five toes. The first or big toe was huge. They all left a flat foot imprint.

Screams, always at night, were heard for two months before August 30th. The neighbor was at their cabin once and also heard a scream. He did not want to walk home as the vocalization came from between the two properties.

On August 30th, the stump that was pulled straight from the ground had a root ball two to three feet across. There was five to six of them placed in a row.

On another road on their property, the witness saw a big straight figure with long wavy dark red hair. Its head was wide, but short from chin to forehead. It was two car lengths distance from her. The eight to nine foot tall figure quickly turned and ran. She saw a huge, long left arm swing like a pendulum. Three to four whoops were heard, then movement, then three to four whoops again. She described a lingering smell like the combination of manure, urine and dirt.

That night, starting between nine to ten o' clock and lasting until midnight, it sounded as if sticks were hitting the cabin. Whoops were heard again and a scream lasting three to five seconds. The husband was very nervous. The next morning, sticks were found all around the cabin, four to five inch diameter and twelve or more inches long. The husband placed a peanut butter sandwich on the truck hood and a pine cone was found in its place. The husband kept doing this and pine cones would be found most times. Once, several little sun bleached white sticks were in a row.

For two weeks the witness felt as if she was being watched. At these times she would say, "I am almost done with evening chores."

The owners had a chicken pen with no roof. Trees were used instead of fence posts. The chickens would sleep in these trees. Once, the witness heard branches breaking by the chicken pen and found three to four inch diameter broken branches. The chickens moved higher in the trees to sleep.

The property owners had Chihuahua dogs that would often bark and hide inside the cabin during this two and a half month time period. They would call to their gray tabby cat but there would be whoops and screams. The cat would meow at the sounds and then finally come to the owners.

A few weeks after August 30th, the cat went outside and never returned. After that, vocalizations and other activity ceased.

During this time, the witness noted a lack of coyotes on their property. Coyotes had always been there. Also during this time, the owners left the top of the hill alone. She said, "He got the top eight acres."

I found the witness very observant and credible.

Witness does not know current owners of the acreage, so does not know of any further activity.

About BFRO Investigator Kevin Llewellyn:

Kevin has camped, fished and hunted in Eastern Washington all his life. His interest in Sasquatch began when he was 10 years old and saw Roger Patterson present "the" film. He lives in Eastern Washington.

Recently retired, he was a veterinarian since 1984, after graduating from Washington State University.

He attended Washington BFRO expeditions in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2019. Oregon in 2015 and 2018, Montana in 2017 and 2018. He was co-leader of N.E. Washington 2019, Washington 2020, 2021 #1 & #2, and Montana 2020, 2021expeditions.

  Copyright © 2024