DHS Squirrel
Geographical Index > United States > Washington > Yakima County > Report # 46546
Report # 46546  (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, September 17, 2014.
Mother and son, while backpacking, experience a possible night-time camp approach near Natches
(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2014

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: September

DATE: September 14,15

STATE: Washington

COUNTY: Yakima County

LOCATION DETAILS: Trail head at Deep Creek Campground to Twin Sisters Lakes

NEAREST TOWN: Naches, Washington

NEAREST ROAD: Deep Creek road 1800

OBSERVED: September 14
My adult son, daughter and her son and I all hiked into Twin Sisters Lakes from the Deep Creek Campground around 1 1/2 to 2 miles. My son and were planning to spend 2 nights and daughter and her son, just for the day. We set up camp, ate lunch and just enjoyed the day at the lake and surrounding area. Many hunters were leaving due to it being the last day of Bow season for Elk so we watched them being packed out by Mules and Horses.
Beautiful day in the low 80's I would say. My daughter and her son left around 3:30 so it was just my son and I and the 2 dogs. He fly fished and I just relaxed and read at camp.
At dusk we started a fire, ate and had a glass of wine. I did a couple wood knocks but did not hear a response. Around 9:00 we went to our tents with a dog in each for the night. At 1:30 in the morning the dogs needed out to do their business so we did also then back to bed. My son snores terribly so my sleeping was intermittent. Our tents were between two trees about 8 feet apart and a foot from each other and the trees. I awoke sometime in the night and raised up because I heard the dog moving around. He was staring out the window towards the Lake. He did this several times that night, didn't bark or growl. I heard nothing that night except my son and the dogs snoring.

September 15
Awoke early and we decided to take a hike to Blankenship Lakes and Meadow. Spooked a Rough Grouse on the way and met 2 Bow Hunters on the trail. They had no luck but said where they were camped at Blankenship was busy with coyotes during the previous night. When we reached the Lake one of the dogs Maggie would not leave Bob's side so we continued on. Got back to camp around noon.
When dusk arrived we made a fire and I decided to do a call, one loud Whoop and immediately across the lake we got a return whoop and Elk on both sides of the lake started bugling back and forth to each other. Also a coyote yip then it was quiet for awhile and then more Elk bugles and a loud knock on the hill behind our tents.
By this time my son was wide eyed and couldn't believe what he was hearing. I had told him of all of my expeditions and reports from others so he was a believer but had never experienced it for himself. We decided to go to bed and he immediately went to sleep snoring right away. I on the other hand was awake and listening when I felt something heavy stepping on the side of my tent where my arm was lying , I slowly moved my arm not making a sound because I didn't want whatever it was to know I wasn't sleeping. I felt my head being pushed down also as it went by and a loud swoosh on the tent fly. I was petrified and tried to call out "Go Away" but nothing came out. I was mute, but continued to try and say something to wake my son up. He and both dogs were snoring. After it passed my tent I continued to hear soft bipedal footfalls around our camp. I did not sleep all night. Around dawn I heard another wood knock. We got up , packed up and left. Very memorable trip for us, shook me up but I still want to have a sighting and will keep doing this.

Note: Actual names edited by the investigator in order to protect the identity and privacy of the witnesses. ST

ALSO NOTICED: Prior to second night incident my son's dog was in my tent looking out the tent window several times during the night which woke me but I didn't want to spook anything if I moved by sitting up to see.

OTHER WITNESSES: Just my adult son.

OTHER STORIES: No, not here but at Bumping Lake my daughter had an incident which she explained in a previous post in June of this year.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Dusk and late into the night

ENVIRONMENT: Alpine Forest on the shore of 1st of the Twin Sisters Lakes
1st camping spot to the right of trail where an Elk hunting camp had been the previous night.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Scott Taylor:

I called the witness, and we talked for about one-half hour. As often happens there are additional details and clarifications that were not in the original report.

I know the witness from several BFRO expeditions she has been on, including the Olympics Expedition of 2013. This witness is a veteran squatcher and very knowledgeable as to the behaviors and vocalizations of sasquatches, as well as the other common animals in the area. She has learned to pay attention to the sounds in the forest. She also had another encounter in this general area in July 2008.

This event occurred over two nights: September 14 and 15, 2014, ending at daylight on September 16th.

The witness, her son, daughter, and grandson drove to the end of the road where there is both a trail-head and a campground. They hiked in to the Twin Sisters Lakes, which is several miles. The witness and her son were planning to spend the next two nights, and her daughter and grandson were planning on only spending the day and then hike back.

After her daughter and grandson left, the witness tried a couple of wood-knocks with no response. The night of the 14th was uneventful.

The next evening at dusk they did a whoop. This whoop was answered by a return whoop from the south side of the lake, a distance of .4 miles. They were camping on the north side of the lake. This whoop was followed by a wood-knock from the north of their camp a little later. The elk were in rut, and several of them were also bugling in response to the whoops.

After they went to their tents to go to sleep, the witness stayed awake listening. Her son was soon asleep, snoring. It should be noted that snoring seems to be the “all clear” signal if a sasquatch is going to approach or enter an occupied camp-site. Soon after the son was snoring, she could feel and hear the foot-falls on a large creature entering camp. It was stepping right on the edge of her tent, and not wanting to be stepped-on, silently pulled her arm towards her body. She said that the creature almost stepped on her arm. Also of significance, her head was physically touched through the tent. She felt her head being pushed-down with its hand. She was laying on her back up against the side of the tent, as her dog was on the left side. It touched her forehead. The tents were quite small, single-person backpacking tents, approximately three feet wide. There was not much room.

Let me comment on the witness being unable to speak. This happens very often. Very often this is accompanied by the feeling of being unable to move, or the feeling of a heavy weight being pushed down on them. These feelings leave when the interaction is over and the creature has left. We are not sure as to the exact cause, whether it comes from within or is externally influenced.

She did not sleep at all that night. The creature stayed in or around the camp all night and she lay awake listening. In the morning, as it started to get light, the creature left. They hurriedly packed-up camp to leave. As they were departing, about 4:30 AM, they heard a wood-knock from the north.

It should be noted that in this area of the central Cascade Mountains, we have had incidents of BFRO investigators being physically touched through their tents. I know of three occurrences where their heads were touched. Several other times, people’s legs were grabbed gently and then released. This is a fairly common occurrence here. Sasquatch vocalizations are common, and recorded often. I know of several occasions where BFRO investigators, as well as expedition attendees, have witnessed sasquatches visually, through night-vision scopes, and thermal imagers. They definitely reside in this area of the Cascades during the summer and fall. The area gets snowed-in about the end of October, and there is snow until June.

About BFRO Investigator Scott Taylor:

Scott Taylor is a retired aerospace manager. He lives in Mason County, Washington. He had his first bigfoot encounter in October 2005 where he was stalked and later heard vocalizations. He attended official BFRO Expeditions in the Washington Cascades in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. He also attended the 2007 BFRO Expedition in the central Oregon Cascades and the 2007 Utah Expedition in the Uinta's. He attended the 2008 and 2009 Olympic Peninsula Expeditions and co-lead the 2013 Expedition. He has participated in numerous speaking engagements over the past 17 years.

  Copyright © 2024