BFRO Home Reports Database New Report Additions FAQs
Media Articles Hypotheses & Projects About the BFRO
Geographical Index > United States > Washington > Pend Oreille County > Report # 58396
Report # 58396  (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
Hunters experience possible vocalizations, wood knocks, felled trees, over eight days in Squaw Valley

YEAR: 2017


MONTH: October

DATE: 8 days

STATE: Washington

COUNTY: Pend Oreille County

LOCATION DETAILS: Get to location by heading North on Hwy 57 towards Priest Lake. Take a left on Squaw Valley rd, heading West. You will eventually cross the Idaho Washington boarder. Keep on same road until you come to a T/Y & take a right. (At the "T" you will be facing the field/ stream/ valley. Continue down road & about halfway down on the left is where we camped next to field.)

NEAREST TOWN: Coolin Idaho, near Priest Lake

NEAREST ROAD: Squaw Valley Rd. (On Washington side.)

OBSERVED: We were there @8 days. First two days & nights were fine. After that we started hearing what sounded like a lady moaning or "howling" across the field. Also tree knocks in the far tree line across the field. It seemed like it would happen in one spot & then another would respond in another area. The next couple nights it seemed to get closer until it sounded like it was in the woods right behind our tent. (Very loud knocks, usually 2 at a time.) Also got growled at 4 times from right outside the tent one night maybe @ the sixth night. We stormed out of tent with guns & flashlights & didn't see anything & didn't hear anything running away! Also during the day after hunting we came back to find a smaller tree with full fresh rootball placed across the entrance to our camp site. (It wasn't dragged there, there was no dirt drag marks anywhere & we looked around & couldn't find where it was pulled from. There were also some other big limbs placed there too. (I have pics of the tree.). Keep in mind there was no other campers or hunters in the whole valley the whole week.)
The last night we came back to camp and a large healthy green pine tree was pushed over in the woods & landed right in the middle of our camp. This was the last straw for us, we couldn't take the stress anymore & needed sleep. We left camp and drove to my families cabin at Priest Lake & slept there. My buddy left the lantern on in the tent before we left and when we came back the next morning the tent zipped was unzipped about 6-7 inches & we had zipped it up tight. I also have pics of this & the bigger tree that was pushed over.

OTHER WITNESSES: Yes, my hunting partner. We both witnessed everything.

OTHER STORIES: The last 2 years before we thought we heard talking in the field but could never make out what it was saying. (Very creepy but we just kind of shrugged it off.) Never had any tree knocks & trees being pushed down though.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Things happened during the day in camp when we were gone hunting & then ramped up at night when we were in the tent.

ENVIRONMENT: Pine Forest bordered by field & stream. Other side of field is tree line & mountains. Also tree line in between road & camp spot.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Kevin Llewellyn:

I talked to the witness by phone.

The witness and his hunting partner left after work on Friday, October 13th to get to this camp. The witness did not record the daily events, but following is the sequence of events as best recalled by him. I will start with Saturday, October 14th as day one.

Day One and Two: Nothing happened.

Day Three: That night they heard moaning that sounded like a lady moaning. It lasted for about ten seconds. This happened two times from same location. The witness does not recall how much time between the moans. They were awakened by tree knocks sometime between 3 to 4 o clock in the morning. Two knocks came from the south and two in response from the north.

Day Four: That night, they heard moaning again. Also same pattern of knocks in early morning hours.

Day Five: When returning to camp from hunting, they found a twenty foot long tree and two sticks placed across entrance to camp. It was four to five inches diameter at bottom. The root ball was eighteen inches with roots extending out to twenty four inches. No drag marks were present. See photos:

Wood knocks happened again in early morning hours that awakened the hunters. The knocks were closer.

Day Six: That night, growls were heard. The witness describes them as a deep "errrrr." Both hunters rushed out of the tent and watched with flashlights for twenty minutes.

Again wood knocks in the early morning hours that seemed just behind their tent.

Day Seven: Upon returning to camp, they found a thirty foot long tree down in their camp. I was twelve to eighteen inches diameter and appeared snapped off at the ground. See photos:

His partner was very nervous and they did not feel safe. Each night their sleep was interrupted by wood knocks. The witness said, "they felt pressured to leave." They tried to sleep but were too stressed and drove to a family cabin.

Day Eight: When they returned that morning, they found the tent zipper as the witness described. The lantern was still on inside. No food had been in the tent.

Throughout this time, they looked for footprints but the ground was too hard in the area. They did not detect any foul odor.

They only saw one other camper and that was when they were leaving. There was only one windy day and he believes it was day four. He said two years ago, a large fire was in the area that destroyed a lot of habitat.

The witness refers to hearing "talking" in prior years. Once, his brother-in-law described hearing mumbling or talking in the distance. Another time, his hunting partner said it sounded like a crazy old lady talking in the field.

I find the witness very observant and credible.

About BFRO Investigator Kevin Llewellyn:

Kevin has camped, fished and hunted in Eastern Washington all his life. His interest in Sasquatch began when he was 10 years old and saw Roger Patterson present "the" film. He lives in Eastern Washington.

Recently retired, he was a veterinarian since 1984, after graduating from Washington State University.

He attended Washington BFRO expeditions in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2019. Oregon in 2015 and 2018, Montana in 2017 and 2018. He was co-leader of N.E. Washington 2019, Washington 2020, 2021 #1 & #2, and Montana 2020, 2021expeditions.