BFRO Home Reports Database New Report Additions FAQs
Media Articles Hypotheses & Projects About the BFRO
Geographical Index > United States > Washington > Grays Harbor County > Report # 12876
Report # 12876  (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Saturday, October 22, 2005.
Deer hunters hear wood knocks near Aberdeen

YEAR: 2005


MONTH: October

DATE: 15th

STATE: Washington

COUNTY: Grays Harbor County

LOCATION DETAILS: Just west of Aberdeen, on the way to Westport.




My buddy and I went out deer hunting on 10/15/05 opening day. We were going to a favorite spot of his on [a particular road in the area]. Anyway, we got to the spot at about 6:00am still dark, we sat in the truck till it got light enough to see better. We were at the start of the spur truck not running, windows down. We were talkin when I noticed a loud sound on my side of the road, it was stick beating.

There were loud 7 slams in a row. It stoped for maybe 5 seconds then 7 more from further off in the distance. This went on for aprox 8 minutes. I asked my buddy if he was hearing it and he said yes but he thought it was just a hunter trying to spook up deer.

I don't think so ... why would somebody do that back in the woods an hour and a half before daylight?

At one point later on a low bed truck came down the road, most likely to pick logging epuipment. When the truck got closer the driver of the truck stopped, then quickly shined a spotlight in the timber around where we heared the beating. He then took off grabing the gears fast (I know because I drive a log truck too.)

The stickbeating stopped after that. However, when we did hear the beating, they were very hard and heavy bangs. I'm 6'2" 250 lbs and I tried to make the same sound, to describe to my brother in law what I heard. The loudest knock sounds I could make weren't even close to what I heard.

I haven't been back since due to my work schedule. So there it is, Tell me what you think...

OTHER WITNESSES: My buddy was the driver, we were talking in the truck.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: It was 6:00am. pre-dawn, drizzle. Hard rain the night before.

ENVIRONMENT: Heavy timber, open interior, very damp, clear cut on other side of the timber which we were going to hunt, lots of 2nd and 3rd yr growth. Thick doghair, steep draws and very thick in the bottoms.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator John G. Callender:

I spoke with the witness for approximately one hour.

The experience occurred when he and his neighbor went deer hunting off a particular road in the county. The area they were in has been closed for several months due to excessive garbage dumping. They arrived in the area about an hour before sunrise. While waiting for the sun to rise, they sat in the neighbor’s pickup truck with the windows rolled down. They talked and smoked cigarettes.

The wood knocking he heard was approximately seventy feet from the truck. The first set of knocks was seven big knocks, followed by a reply of seven knocks in the distance estimated to be several hundred yards away.

He emphasized that the seven knocks were very loud. I specifically inquired as to whether the return knocks they heard could have been echoes from the knocks near their truck. He stated that too much time had elapsed between the knocks to be echoes, although the return knocks did come fairly quickly, at approximately five to six seconds after the knocks near the truck sounded.

He estimates the knocking lasted for eight to ten minutes before the low bed truck arrived in the area.

The witness said the knocks sounded just like the wood knocks on the BFRO web page (whoops and knocks compilation clip). He drives a log truck for a living and he estimates he’s in the woods most days on average of sixteen to eighteen hours.

His hunting partner heard the knocks, but blew them off as a deer hunter who was “trying to spook a deer”.

This incident took place in an area that's had a history of bigfoot activity over the years.

About BFRO Investigator John G. Callender:

John Callender hails from Mississippi where he received a BA degree in Accounting from the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss). He spent 26 years in the Seattle area flying for a major airline before retiring and relocating to Middle Tennessee in 2017. John quickly found that he missed flying and he’s now on his second career as a pilot for a major airline. He has done extensive field work in the Pacific Northwest, as well as Mississippi and he has attended the following expeditions: WA - Oly Pen (Aug. '04); New Mexico (Jicarilla Apache SEP '04); WA - Oly Pen (October '04); CA - Redwoods (May '05); WA -Oly Pen -3, (AUG '05 ); WA Cascades Expedition (AUG '06); Central Oregon Expedition (JUNE '07), BC, Vancouver Island Expedition (SEPT 2007), WA Cascades Expedition (June '09), 2009 Washington Olympic Peninsula Expedition.