DHS Squirrel
Geographical Index > United States > Arkansas > Madison County > Report # 59520
Report # 59520  (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Monday, May 28, 2018.
Family describes the strange activity at their former rural home near Wesley
(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2002

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: August

DATE: 14

STATE: Arkansas

COUNTY: Madison County

LOCATION DETAILS: The Google maps directions are accurate.
The house is still there, but we moved two years after this incident and have not been back.


NEAREST ROAD: Highway 74 onto county road Madison

OBSERVED: We had things happen that we did not realize were possibly Bigfoot related.
1. There was a owl that would hoot every night. Louder than any owl I have ever heard in my life. We used to joke that it must be as big as a man. It was also slightly off sounding. Also, it called like this all year long. Not seasonally.
2. Our kids became afraid to sleep in their rooms. They said someone was watching them. They never saw anything, but said they just felt weird. So they slept in our room with us. One night around 2 a.m. we were all woken up by a pounding on our house. Pounding so hard on the other side of the house that our bedroom windows were rattling. My husband yelled and it didn't let up at all. Just a rythmic pounding. Our gun case was in the room closest to the banging. My husband jerked that door open, grabbed his gun and ran outside with a flashlight. There was nothing there. He ran around the house and still didn't see anything. The next day we walked around the house looking for prints of some sort and there were no visible prints. The grass was very thick and lush at the time. Our nearest neighbors were over a mile away. This was about June 2002.
3. We had a momma goat that gave birth to twins. We found her and one baby dead by a pond about a mile from the house. Not much left of either except the hides. We thought it was coyotes or maybe a mountain lion, but even then it seemed unlikely. More like they were carried there. No drag marks anywhere.
4. Our new neighbors and their children came over for dinner. My husband and our neighbor went to check Gates and cattle in a pickup. The kids were playing outside in the yard and the wife and I were talking in the living room with the door open so we could hear the kids. About 45 min before sunset her 13 year old son came up to the house and told us he was scared. His mom asked why and he said he heard something weird in the woods. He was starting to tear up while he was telling us but his mom said oh stop that, go play. And he did. I yelled at the kids and told them to come closer to the house and stood with the door open listening. I thought I heard something off in the distance, but I thought maybe it was a bull and sounded odd because we lived down in a narrow valley. I stayed in the doorway watching the kids and chatting and heard the sound again and told the kids to come on in, because it was kind of creeping me out. I was feeling on alert but still wasn't exactly worried. My husband is a prankster and I thought he was trying to scare me. By now it's right at sunset and the woods about 100 yards from the house are too dark to see into. I heard the call again and I have never before or again heard a sound like that. By now the kids are freaked out, crying and telling me to come inside, my heart is pounding and I'm thinking- that's not my husband.... The sound started low and slowly went high, I have no idea how long it went on but the thing that made that sound had to have MASSIVE lungs. It wasn't a monotone sound. Almost like there were two sets of vocal cords sounding at the same time. A couple of very low sounds, almost like I could feel them in my chest more than I could hear them, and then it yelled again. It sounded like the call came from the other side of the creek about 150 yards from the house, directly in front. I was more stunned than scared at this point, but my eyes were watering and I did feel strangely sad suddenly, and I had backed all the way up to the door. Right then the guys came back, from the opposite direction of the calls. We told them what we heard and they listened but heard nothing, grabbed some flashlights and ran down to the creek and followed the creek about a quarter mile but didn't see anything. I didnt hear it again after that but our kids never played outside close to dark after that either.

After that we had some stuff moved around or missing. A couple of dogs disappeared and one night it sounded like rythmic tapping on the water pipes in the house in the middle of the night. My husband even crawled under the house to find out what was going on but saw nothing. The next day we saw the pin was pulled on the latch for the well house (by the creek) and the door was standing open. Just odd things like that. We didn't spend time outside at dusk or night after the August incident.

ALSO NOTICED: After the screaming incident we were positive this couldn't be anything else. We tried to rationalize everything away but I truly believe this was a Sasquatch. Ive heard foxes, bobcats, mountain lions, bulls, ECT and nothing has ever sounded close. I've heard male lions call and the power in the call is the same but the sound is not. Also, I had a pretty strange emotional reaction. I had that happen a couple other times out there. Once while I was carrying in groceries not long after the night I heard the screaming. I left the rest of the groceries in the car, went inside and locked the doors. I realized that my husband and I and also avoided looking out of any windows at night for quite a while before this incident. Strangely we never realized we were avoiding windows until after we moved. Even though all that time we were having to tell our kids there was nothing to be afraid of and that there was nothing looking in at them. This creeps me out to even think about now. It was almost like some sort of mind control or tranquilizing effect. It's very out of character for my husband and I to hide from anything. At the time it was like we didn't realize that we weren't spending time outside at dusk or dark. We would just think we wanted to go in. Thinking back on it now it seems very odd like we were being manipulated. We didn't stay out and have bonfires or catch fireflies. No one was really afraid either though. It's hard to explain the feeling. Writing about it now, my heart is beating hard remembering the sound, but the night after the calling I don't remember being afraid. More just kind of numb feeling.

OTHER WITNESSES: For the calls- Two adults and 4 children old enough to remember.
For the pounding on the house 2 adults and 3 children.

OTHER STORIES: After we had moced from the area we spoke with our neighbors and they had also moved due to someone beating on their house. It is a old two story stone house, foot thick walls. Her husband said he would never go back there.
People in the area have had full grown cattle attacked, dogs missing etc., but sporadically. Also, coyotes never came in this valley. Down the road about a mile and a half you could hear them all over, but not around us. Neighbors up the valley raised sheep and lost a few, but never saw or heard a coyote. They had two Pyrenees watch dogs that stayed full time with the sheep and we found them in our yard on a few occasions looking on guard like they had been following something. The sheep farm was a mile and a half from our house.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: It was a nice clear evening. Mid to late August about 45 minutes till sunset until full dark. The other episodes were in the middle of the night.

ENVIRONMENT: The land lays in a twisting valley with a creek running through it. The valley is not much wider than the road in some areas but opens up where we lived. There is a house, small barn and paddock and a chicken house used to store hay in the area. About 2 miles to the South is a chicken composter that the land owner uses for culled chickens.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Carter Buschardt:

This witness and her family had been exposed to the ongoing activity for nearly the entire 4 years they lived at the home. The home they lived in was owned by the chicken plant her husband worked for, and was part of the salary package. Free rent and a salary. They had 8 children in total, and about half of them recall many or all of the incidents.

Map of the area:

I will address the incidents in the order she outlined.

The owl: As mentioned, it was "off sounding" and much louder than the others they heard. It almost always came from the same general area, which was a hollow near the home. At times, the owl would "sound like a normal owl, then evolve into almost a chatter or "jibberish". But it was almost always "way too loud" for a normal owl.

The kids afraid of their room: About 6 months or so, after moving in, is when the kids were "creeped" out about sleeping in their room at night. They felt like "someone was watching them" after dark. They almost always had cartoons or other kid type entertainment on at night, and the witness had surmised, after doing some research, that the "creature" was attracted to the kids and their banter, and the TV on. When the banging on the wall started, they were out of there for good.
After they abandoned the bedroom, they still used it as a playroom during the day, and up until bedtime. It was after they abandoned that room when the banging started picking up and becoming more frequent. And only at night. The family kept their guns in a small room next to the kids playroom, and when the banging got really loud, hubby would head for the room, grab a gun, and the banging almost always stopped at that point.

Mama goat: The mama and her twins were very attached to the family and the house. Never strayed far at all. When they found the mama and one baby, the hides were removed, not torn into or ravaged as a normal predator would do. It was "skinned or peeled back". As stated, there were no drag marks or any blood trail, and they were pretty sure they were carried there.

The screaming incident: I will only add what was discovered during our conversation. Her account is pretty vivid and did not waiver much at all. The description of the yells were that it started as a low rumble type sound, which is why she thought it may have been a bull a few pastures over. But the sound "pounded her in the chest, and then the low rumbles turned into a higher pitched yell, but not a scream". In other words, the sound started out low then ended up higher before it stopped. It was described by her as a "lions roar" (the lower sound). I will address the "sadness or melancholy" feelings she had during this event later, as there are other similar "feelings or sensations".

Tapping on the water pipes: After hearing the tapping a few times, her husband crawled under the home to inspect the pipes and everything was in order. He then went out to the pump house to find the latch had been unlatched and the door was opened, but nothing was amiss. He tapped on the pipes to gauge where the pipes were being tapped on, and they figured out it was from the pump house, not from under the home.

Chicken coop incident: This event was not in the original report, and this is where we delve into the theory of infra sound and melancholy. She had gone out to check on the coop, as was normal before dark. On her way back, she was "knocked down by an unseen force or person". She fell forward and immediately rolled over to see nothing, or no one, there. She "felt" the push, but it was more an overall sensation of being "pushed" without the sensation of "hands on her". Almost "like a very strong gust of wind". We discussed infra sound, and other types of possible paranormal influences.

Let me say that this is a religious Christian family, with the "normal beliefs and practices" associated with their religion. Before they determined it was Sasquatch related, they had the family priest come out and bless the home and property to be certain there were no evil entities, and the priest said he had no inkling of anything of that nature. Also of note, the witness began having migraine headaches shortly after moving in, and they ceased once they moved out. Home was tested for lead, carbon monoxide, and other possible contaminants. None were found. There was a somewhat constant "suppressive atmosphere" the entire time they lived there. They had an unspoken "knowledge and agreement" that they would just not go near, or look out windows after dark. Just a robotic existence. If you read her "Also noticed", she describes it perfectly. Many of the feelings and sensations they experienced are some of the side effects of infra sound. Confusion, lethargy, sadness or melancholy, discomfort, etc.
The mention of "two different vocals coming out at the same time" is not an unfamiliar description. When examining audio recordings of Sasquatch, there are many instances where there are "background sounds or calls" during one vocal recording.

Regarding "things being moved around and missing" I will post this quote from her. "Just odd things, the shovel we used in the donkey pen, kids push toys we kept by the house would be down the hill by the creek, we had a wheel barrow and a wagon for hauling feed and they would be in a different place. The top part of the door to the barn was open most mornings even though we closed it every night."

The other peripheral instances of another family being driven form their home, missing or dead pets and animals, etc, are very consistent with reported Sasquatch activity.

This is an excellent witness, and her account is thorough, descriptive and reveals with great clarity the emotional effect this 4 year adventure had on the entire family.

Oct. 17th. County was corrected to Madison County. Arkansas county was incorrectly entered.

About BFRO Investigator Carter Buschardt:

Carter is originally from Texas & moved to Missouri in 1988. Professional drummer for 20 years. Improv & sketch comic and writer for 5 years. Lighting technician for major touring groups for several years. Experienced outdoorsman and was a trained investigator for MUFON. Studied Herpetology in college. Longtime special interest in Sasquatch long term habituation, burial research, infra sound, language & stick structures. He led three Missouri BFRO Public Expeditions:, 2012 & 2013 & 2014. Led public expedition for BFRO in Illinois in 2019.Participated in Iowa, 2012 Illinois. Michigan 2016. Private Expeditions: Illinois 2011, 2012, 2013. Missouri 2011, 2012 (3) 2013(2) 2014. Iowa 2012, 2014 & 2015. Consulted on two Animal Planet Finding Bigfoot TV shows. Expedition leader in Missouri 2013 (1) & 2014 (2) & Illinois Expedition 2019 (1). Led night ops on numerous BFRO expeditions. Hosted a public Town Hall meeting in Missouri in 2017.

  Copyright © 2024