Geographical Index > United States > Illinois > Marshall County > Report # 55386|
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, August 16, 2016.
Witness recalls possible nighttime sighting near Sparland
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
COUNTY: Marshall County
LOCATION DETAILS: Family still lives on farm near Sparland
NEAREST TOWN: Sparland
NEAREST ROAD: Rt. 29
OBSERVED: My mother and I had a possible sighting back in about 1974. We used to watch for my step dad to come back from deer hunting. Depending on the moon light, we could see him coming down from the woods. One night my mom said that he was coming. We went outside and we both thought we seen him walking to the house. Mom walked out to meet him. I stayed on the back porch and watched. It was probably 9pm or so. What ever it was just stopped and stood there. Then it went back into the woods fast. Mom ran back inside the house with me by the wrist. She locked the doors and loaded a shotgun. My step dad eventually got home. Whatever that was walked on 2 legs. It was not my step dad. We live just outside Sparland, Illinois.
OTHER WITNESSES: 2 My mom and myself
OTHER STORIES: Yes. I've heard a siren yell very close and wood knocking. Neighbor had a hot tub. They lived down the road. Father and son were in the hot tub and seen red eye shine looking at them. Probably from the utility light. Next day hot tub was emptied and eventually sold.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: Night. Good moon light.
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Stan Courtney:
I spoke with the witness by phone. His mother, the other witness, is no longer living.
• The witness was 10 years old at the time of the sighting.
• The witness estimated the animal's height at 7 foot.
• The witness was unable to see the animal's face.
• The witness was unable to see the see any details of the hair length or color.
• The animal was not unusually large in build.
• The sighting lasted for about 45 seconds.
• The animal was 100 yards from the two witnesses.
• As the animal turned it went into the woods very quickly.
• Area was well lit from two commercial utility lights.
About BFRO Investigator Stan Courtney:
Stan Courtney has a special interest in wildlife audio recording. He has attended numerous BFRO Expeditions. See Stan's blog StanCourtney.com for recordings he has collected over the years.
Stan Courtney can be reached at email@example.com