Geographical Index > United States > Illinois > Cook County > Report # 51417|
Submitted by witness on Thursday, March 10, 2016.
Possible early morning sighting near Glenwood Woods
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
COUNTY: Cook County
LOCATION DETAILS: Glenwood, Illinois next to Glenwood Woods Forest Preserve.
NEAREST TOWN: Glenwood
NEAREST ROAD: Glenwood Road
OBSERVED: Chimpanzee noises at work. Went outside, seen in hedge apple tree. Tan reddish hue, wedge shaped head from behind. Went away after I yelled, still heard noises.
ALSO NOTICED: Didn't look
OTHER WITNESSES: Called friend on phone
OTHER STORIES: Always heard noises all the time, worked nights for four years, sometimes clicking or grunting.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: 3:00-4:00am
ENVIRONMENT: Drop yard for trailers, wooded area
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Stan Courtney:
I spoke with the witness by phone.
• Witness worked the midnight shift for four years at a drop yard for trailers at a transport company.
• The transport company borders Glenwood Woods part of the Forest Preserves of Cook County.
• Over the years the witness periodically heard unusual sounds coming from the woods to the east and the hedge apple trees that line the area along the north side of the yards.
• The witness says the truckers would throw garbage on the ground, although there were a number of garbage cans in the area.
• The witness believes that the animals came back every year for hedge apples, Osage-orange (Maclura pomifera).
• The witness stated that when he had his sighting the hedge apples were ripe, although they typically ripen in September and October.
• There are large security lights in the drop yard.
• The night of the sighting the witness was working inside one of the buildings when he heard "chimpanzee like" loud noises coming from the north edge of the property.
• The witness yelled towards the sounds where the sounds were coming and walked towards the area.
• As the witness approached to within about 60 feet of one of the hedge apple trees something in the tree started shaking the branches. The tree is about 30 feet tall.
• The witness observed what he describes as a four foot animal looking the other direction having a wedge shaped head.
• The hair was one to two inches long on it's body, being longer on it's head. The hair was orange-reddish brown fur like an orangutan's.
• The animal's arms appeared to be longer than a human's.
• The witness was unable to see the animal's face as it moved away from him and he was not longer able to see it.
Map showing the sighting area just west of Glenwood Woods Forest Preserve.
Satellite photo showing the hedge apple trees that line the property and where the sighting occurred.
About BFRO Investigator Stan Courtney:
Stan Courtney has a special interest in wildlife audio recording. He has attended numerous BFRO Expeditions. See Stan's blog StanCourtney.com for recordings he has collected over the years.
Stan Courtney can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org