DHS Squirrel
Geographical Index > United States > Virginia > Giles County > Report # 40534
Report # 40534  (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Saturday, March 23, 2013.
Strange encounter experienced by LEO's camped near Goldbond
(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2005

SEASON: Spring


DATE: 28

STATE: Virginia

COUNTY: Giles County

LOCATION DETAILS: Up Big Stony Creek road to Jefferson National Forest


NEAREST ROAD: Big Stony Creek Road

OBSERVED: I put off sharing this story publicly for some time. When the incident occurred, I was working in Law Enforcement at a Regional Jail in Virginia. Stories of Bigfoot always intrigued me, and because I read quite a bit about them, my fellow officers got a kick out of asking me questions about Bigfoot habits. A couple of friends who worked with me decided we should do a "Bigfoot Hunt", aka, a weekend camping trip.

We told other people we were heading out to find Bigfoot in jest, we were all really going to just get away from everything for a couple of days. We all met up and traveled into Giles County, Virginia into the Jefferson National Forest. This was not a new place for a couple of the guys in our group who camped, fished and hunted in the area most of their lives. In all, about 10 of us, most of us Law Enforcement Officers, wound up camping that weekend.

The first night was on a Friday Night. It was clear skies and crisp air, but no moon. Some of the group decided right before the sun set to take a hike through the woods. To the best of my recollection, we were only a short distance from the West Virginia Border, so the trail actually went up into the mountains around us, we were in what would best be described as a kind of horseshoe valley with mountains and very densely wooded area surrounding us.

It took them a couple of hours to make it back to camp and we all sat around the campfire talking and telling stories until about 11:00pm or so, and some of the guys who had worked that day went to bed. We had our tents set up around the clearing of the camping space we had, most of the tents fairly close to the campfire area. A few of us sat up around the fire and continued talking.

Around 12:30am or so, while we were talking we heard what I would describe as a vocalization on a ridge that I would estimate was about a mile or so from us. We all stopped talking and looked at each other. Within a few seconds, there was a second vocalization from another area that was to our left and had to have been another creature answering the first one. There were no more sounds, but it did make us all take a moment and try to figure out what it was.

A couple more guys went to bed and that left me and another gentleman who had came with a co-worker, sitting at the campfire. While we were talking, I kept hearing these "Click" sounds behind us. I realized it was small stones or pebbles being thrown and hitting the picnic table that was about 10 feet away. We took out our flashlights and shined them into the trees but saw nothing.

There was just an eerie feeling of being watched from that point on. Even though we could see nothing, I couldn't shake that feeling. I decided to sleep in my car that night instead of my tent. It was such a black night outside that without light, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Very dark night. A creature could have walked around the camp and we would have never seen it outside the campfire light.

The next morning, I would say about 30 minutes before the sun came up. It was light outside, but not quite day yet, after a very sleepless night, a few guys had come out of their tents and we met at the picnic table. I was telling the guys what had happened the night before, there was 4 of us at the table and another guy was building the campfire back up, we heard what I can only describe as talking.

It was loud enough that all of us heard it, and it came from the dense woods behind where we were standing. It sounded like a language I had never heard before, like a mix of something that sounded Russian or Eastern European and an Asian language of some kind mixed. The sound was about 3 to 5 seconds long, like it was saying a sentence and then it was silent. We were all pretty much shocked into silence as we looked at each other then at the woods. Keep in mind, almost all of us were cops, and many of us were armed, but none of us was going into the woods to see what had spoke.

I stayed for the day, still wondering what we had encountered the night before and that morning. I didn't stay the second night. Some of the guys who had not been up when the incidents occurred gave those of us who had experienced the events a hard time in jest, but I wasn't staying out there again.

Could we have been pranked? Possibly, but if anyone knew who we were and what we did for a living, that would have been a dangerous thing to do at night. I also don't know anyone who would have been that far out in the middle of nowhere that would have stayed out there all night long just to mess with us. That just doesn't make sense.


OTHER WITNESSES: Yes. At different times there was 2 or 3 witnesses.

OTHER STORIES: I do know a few years back, this area had a sighting about 15 miles outside of Galax, VA. Some folks driving on Hwy 89 coming into Galax, just past the Blue Ridge Parkway saw a creature on the side of the road stand up, take a couple of steps and disappear into the woods. Right after that, a homeowner near that sighting found large footprints around his house and an outbuilding. It was in the local papers, but I don't know if it ever got reported for investigative purposes.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Night and Early Morning

ENVIRONMENT: Forest land. National Park

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator D.K.:

After conversing with the witness, the following details can be added to his report:

Some of the rocks that hit the table were preceded by rocks falling around them, but they went largely unnoticed until the first couple of louder impacts on the table caught their full attention. The table was about 10 feet away, to their rear left and the rock throwing went on for 15 to 30 minutes, with long pauses in between each hit.

Everyone who heard the voice the next morning was shocked by it. The witness describes the voice as unforgettable, and that he's yet to hear something similar to it. The timber of the voice was definitely masculine, but not too deep, sounding a little lower than a mid-pitched voice.

After the camping trip, the witness went online to search for examples of possible sasquatch vocals. He found, and I sent him, examples of samurai chatter that he said sounded very similar to what he heard. Listening to the clips gave him chills.

This part of Giles County is very thinly populated and most homes are seasonal cottages that remain empty throughout much of the year. The area is a vast, thickly forested, mountainous region with ample room and all the resources necessary for a number of sasquatch to survive unnoticed by humans.

About BFRO Investigator D.K.:

D.K. is a business executive with an MS in Systems Engineering. Formerly a linguistic analyst, he applies his knowledge to the collection and study of sasquatch vocals and communication patterns. BFRO expeditions attended: Tennessee 2010, Pennsylvania 2011, Ohio 2012, West Virginia 2012 & West Virginia 2013

  Copyright © 2024