BFRO Home Reports Database New Report Additions FAQs
Media Articles Hypotheses & Projects About the BFRO
Geographical Index > United States > Idaho > Shoshone County > Report # 69141
Report # 69141  (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Sunday, May 9, 2021.
Camper sighting at night, rocks thrown, on North Fork of Coeur d'Alene River near Enaville

YEAR: 2011

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: August

DATE: 10

STATE: Idaho

COUNTY: Shoshone County

LOCATION DETAILS: [Investigator (MM) Note regarding location:
The camp site described in this report is beside the North Fork of the Coeur d'Alene River, roughly half way between Bumblebee Meadows campground and the town of Linfor. The access road off of 209 is 209F. The area is called Canyon Creek on Google Maps. Here is a pin to the spot where the figure was standing when illuminated briefly by flashlight: Click here.

NEAREST TOWN: Enaville Idaho

NEAREST ROAD: Little North Fork Road

OBSERVED: During a camping trip along the north fork of the Coeur d'Alene river. We had recently finished dinner. While sitting fire side our dogs, a border collie and a pug leapt up and ran into the forest that separated the campsite from the creek. Neither made any sound but simply ran into the woods at twilight. Frustrated at the thought of chasing dogs in the woods at night I retrieved my flashlight from the cab of my truck. Upon approaching the tree line the dogs exploded out of the woods and ran to the truck where they cowered in fear staring into the woods.

My initial fear was we were dealing with a cougar or bear. I retrieved my pistol from the console and instructed my girlfriend to put more wood on the fire. We managed to get the dogs out of the canopied bed where they had taken shelter and placed them into a spare tent.

I approached the forest and while scanning the trees with my flashlight I caught sight of a large black Sasquatch standing behind a tree approx. 30 feet in front of me. I retreated back away from the woods and after a few minutes sat in my chair with my flashlight and pistol in my lap. Initial hope was that it would simply go away. My girlfriend was sitting about four feet away and after shouting into the forest that I was armed and would shoot if threatened. Then a large rock 8 inches long and 5 inches wide (I have the rock) came tumbling out of the trees and went between us grazing the top of the fire as it passed causing hot coals and sparks to fly against my dining canopy. We both jumped up out of surprise and while trying to keep an eye on the forest I was able to extinguish the hot coals burning the grass and canopy with an open soda.

Out of fear and disgust I fired two rounds from the revolver into the air at a 45 degree angle. The creature then moved of to our left crunching undergrowth as it moved then stopped and we heard a large crack like that of a tree snapping and then the creature moved off to the right were it crossed the creek at the point where i had originally seen it. It made two loud splashes in the water and moved to the opposite shore where it was heard to be moving noisily up the hillside opposite our camp.

We hastily gathered our more expensive gear and tossed it into the truck, leaving our tents, coolers and various items. We put the dogs in the cab, extinguished the fire and abandoned the camp. We drove 45 minutes home to Coeur d'Alene and returned the following morning to retrieve the remainder of our equipment.

I found the large stone and kept it. We also discovered the tree snap was actually a twin pine about 5 inches in diameter that was broken about six feet up from the ground. No prints were seen as the ground was packed hard due to heavy use that summer. The creek was also running high.

ALSO NOTICED: Rock thrown. Tree broken, dogs in a panic.

OTHER WITNESSES: 2. Camping, sitting by the fire

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Approx 845 pm clear skies 65 degrees a thunderstorm had come through about 430pm

ENVIRONMENT: Pine forest, creek side, canyon bottom.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Kevin Llewellyn:

I talked to the witness by phone.

The witness and his girlfriend set up camp with a spare tent as more people were to come later in the camping trip. The only other camp was one quarter mile away. They had cooked steaks and oysters for dinner.

When the dogs came running back from the trees, they were whimpering.

The witness had his flashlight on the figure for at least two seconds and knew it was not a bear. It was leaning out from behind an approximately two foot diameter pine tree. He saw the right side of the upper body, the lower body was covered by bushes. He estimates the shoulder width at four feet based on the tree diameter. The right arm hung down into the bushes so no hand was seen. It was eight feet tall with smooth, shiny black hair about three inches long. The head was conical with no neck. The nose was broad, not a bear snout. Hair from the head hung down to the eyes. No ears or teeth were seen. No eye shine was seen. The skin on the face was black. No foul odor was detected. He used the words "bulky" and "enormous" to describe the figure.

When the rock was thrown, it hit the sticks in the fire and sparks landed on the side of his dining canopy. He stated he would never shoot at it, but shot into the air, and they continued to hear it move around and a tree break. The entire encounter was about forty five minutes. He and his girlfriend were very frightened, even though he felt it would not harm them. It affected him for a long time and he has just been sharing the encounter the past couple years. (He apologized for not turning in a report to the BFRO sooner - but we discussed a lot about bigfoot behavior and no apology needed.) He will not go camping again.

I find the witness very credible.

For a Google Maps pin to the exact location where the sasqauatch was seen, click here.

About BFRO Investigator Kevin Llewellyn:

Kevin has camped, fished and hunted in Eastern Washington all his life. His interest in Sasquatch began when he was 10 years old and saw Roger Patterson present "the" film. He lives in Eastern Washington.

Recently retired, he was a veterinarian since 1984, after graduating from Washington State University.

He attended Washington BFRO expeditions in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2019. Oregon in 2015 and 2018, Montana in 2017 and 2018. He was co-leader of N.E. Washington 2019, Washington 2020, 2021 #1 & #2, and Montana 2020, 2021expeditions.