BFRO Home Reports Database New Report Additions FAQs
Media Articles Hypotheses & Projects About the BFRO
Geographical Index > United States > Oregon > Umatilla County > Report # 15746
Report # 15746  (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, September 6, 2006.
Native American woman recalls childhood sighting on family property near Cayuse

YEAR: 1994

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: September

DATE: 2nd week

STATE: Oregon

COUNTY: Umatilla County

LOCATION DETAILS: From Pendleton, Oregon, go east on Mission Road, turn into Cayuse Road for about 1.5 miles.

NEAREST TOWN: Pendleton, Oregon

NEAREST ROAD: Cayuse Highway

OBSERVED: I grew up in Cayuse over the hill from St. Andrew's. Our Pa would not let us sleep outside in summer time. He said there were too many things we didn't know about that he couldn't trust. Us kids would always wonder but would respectfully obey. Well, onwards to a few years ago. It was during [Pendleton] Round Up and I was getting home to very late in the morning. Probably about 3am. My friend and I were sitting in the car planning for the next day. The engine was running but the lights were off. After several minutes of planning and laughing around, I was ready to head into the house. There are no lights around the house and no moon, so it was pretty dark out there. So my friend turned his headlights on so I could see my way to the front door. As soon as the car lights came on, this HUGE, slender built man went sprinting across the back yard! He was HUMUNGOUS... His head must of been right at the level of the corner of the house. He ran so fast, my mind wasn't sure my eyes had seen what they thought they did. I asked my friend "Did you see that?" He, of course, was occupied with his stereo and missed it. I said good night and went on in the house. I kept playing the scene over and over in my mind. The Big Guy was so damn fast... Like 40 yards before I could even blink. His legs didn't seem to stretch out straight like we people do. His head seemed to be sitting right on his shoulders. No neck that I can remember. He was of a darker color brown. The hair covered his body and appeared short. That's all I remember of that night.

ALSO NOTICED: The ground is dry and compact so no prints were found. I remember it was so quiet when I got out of the vehicle. The dogs were not barking and were all curled up inside the back porch. There was one Rottweiler, one Chow, one Yellow Lab and one mixed mutt. The dogs whimpered as I neared them which was unusual.

OTHER WITNESSES: I was the only witness, the driver had his head down and was occupied with finding his music.

OTHER STORIES: I had heard someone walking around the house in the early morning hours. My family members heared grunts sometimes or whispering and things running through the fields. During hide 'n' seek one night, a niece was up in a tree. She looked to another tree and someone was sitting up there looking at her. She thought it was her brother so remained. She and the other watched everybody running past them and around the house. When she saw her brother run past, it frightened her. She yelled out to her brothers and jumped out of the tree. Everyone went inside then.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Between 1-3am. There was no moon. No lights around the house.

ENVIRONMENT: Wheat fields are all around. There is a house a couple thousand feet north. South of the house there is the Catholic Church with 2 farm houses. Other than that, there are other houses 2-5 miles around. To the west, there is a creek which runs during the winter and spring months. The house has a swamp-type septic system. There is a row of quaking aspen trees in back with other evergreens and cottonwood trees around the house. There is a huge willow tree in front. The area is very dry except for the swamp. The Umatilla river is 3 miles north.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Dr. Wolf H. Fahrenbach:

The witness described an additional chain of events. One corner of the house, near their basketball hoop, had a light on a post fixed to the corner of the house and well above it, at a height of about 9'. This light was broken and somebody climbed on the roof to replace it. The light was broken again the next day. It was replaced repeatedly at nightly intervals and eventually the light bulb was found to have been unscrewed. She also found a 20" footprint in a soft area a little distance from the house subsequently.

Editor's note: This report is from a native American woman with several stories from this part of Oregon. She also submitted this report: