|BFRO Home||Reports Database||New Report Additions||FAQs|
|Media Articles||Hypotheses & Projects||About the BFRO|
COUNTY: Collier County
LOCATION DETAILS: It was in a clearing just south of the highway. It was behind a canal and a fence that lines the highway so access would probably tricky.
NEAREST TOWN: Probably Naples
NEAREST ROAD: I-75 Between mile 63 and 55
OBSERVED: I currently have a job as a test driver and i spend a lot of time driving on alligator alley (I-75 between Naples and Ft. Lauderdale) and on many of the other roads out in the everglades. One about 2 weeks ago I was driving east along alligator alley when something got my attention out of the corner of my eye. Off to the right side of the road I saw what appeared to be a hairy animal standing about 6 ft. tall, it appeared to be standing in a clearing about 20 ft. south of the canal that follows the roadway.
Although it was only a quick sighting I am pretty confident in what I saw, later that day when driving by the same spot I tried to see if there was anything static in the clearing that could be mistaken for a creature and I couldn't find anything.
ALSO NOTICED: N/A
OTHER WITNESSES: There were 3 other people in my driving group, none of them reported noticing anything.
OTHER STORIES: I know there have been many sightings along I-75 and in the everglades, but i can't recall any incidents at this specific spot.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: It happened between 10 A.M. and Noon, It was a sunny day but the sun was not in a position to impare my vision.
ENVIRONMENT: It was in a clearing just south of a canal that lines the highway, the clearing contained a few palm trees(4-8)and grass that was approx. 6-12 inches high.
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Dr. Robert S. (MD):
The witness was contacted about this sighting and the following additional information was provided:
• The witness travels this route on a regular basis for his test driving job. This particular day he was traveling eastbound caravan style with three other vehicles, which made up the “driving group” he mentioned. The weather was sunny, temperature in the 80s.
• Something caught his eye to the right of the roadway, and he turned his head and viewed the creature for an estimated 3-4 seconds. He estimated the closest distance between him and the creature to be approximately 50 feet.
• What he saw was upright and “casually walking” in the opposite direction (westbound). Swinging arms were seen, “somewhat longer than human arms.” He could see the entire body down to the ankles where tall grass concealed the feet.
• In addition to his height estimate of six feet, the witness estimated its weight to be between 350 and 400 pounds.
• The witness had the impression it was hair-covered, and likened the texture of the hair to that of a “coconut.” The color was dark red to brown, with a lighter color in the chest area.
• It did not look toward the highway, and he was not able to identify any facial features.
• He felt it was not a man, and could not have been any animal he has ever seen before.
• While it did catch his own eye, he thought what he saw was visually subtle enough to have blended into the background vegetation where other motorists could have easily missed it.
• The clearing was surrounded by heavy vegetation which the witness felt would provide ample concealment, but the trees in the clearing were relatively small.
• The nearest development in the area is a rest stop a few miles to the west.
• This witness seemed very credible in relating the details of his sighting.
Of note, this report location is near the following reports:
720, 2856, 14271, 16303
About BFRO Investigator Dr. Robert S. (MD):
Robert S. is a physician practicing in Florida. He has attended the 2006 Florida, New York Adirondack, and Washington expeditions, the 2008 West Virginia expedition, 2013 N. Florida and Alabama expeditions, the 2014 and 2015 N. Florida expeditions, and numerous private expeditions.